Sunday, June 13, 2010

3 Kingdoms Online

3 Kingdoms Online -- a Chinese developed game, I assume -- recently began its Closed Beta here in Indonesia. I'm not a fan of MMO's but the 3 Kingdoms lore has always interested me, so I decided to give it a shot.

This isn't my first MMO. I actually spent several hours exploring Perfect World before the mundane quests got to me. I'm not much of a social gamer, I tend to prefer going solo, so I suppose this particular niche of gaming isn't suited for me. The constant grind was also a major turnoff for me.

There are two particular aspects of 3 Kingdoms that I feel was tailor-made for players like myself:


First of all, combat is a curious combination of MMO and Dynasty Warriors. Players have the option of recruiting computer-controlled soldiers into their party, and characters that have built up their CHA (Charm) stat can eventually lead armies of soldiers. When wartime between the three titular kingdoms comes along it should be interesting to see how the server handles thousands of soldiers battling. For fans of Kessen and Warriors Orochi the appeal of an MMO Dynasty Warriors is clear.


Second, to deal with the constant and arduous level grind the developers seem to have made bots an integral part of the game. Whereas other MMOs punish players for using bots to grind, 3 Kingdoms actually promotes it; as I type this my squad of soldiers is beating up on evildoers. In its beta stage the AUTO-BATTLE function is rudimentary at best, though I'm interested in seeing how this affects wartime and battling in general. If properly developed this could be an interesting execution of Final Fantasy XII's Gambit System in a MMO environment.




Graphically and aurally the game is -meh-. It seems to use a common engine with Lineage II and the music seems to consist of generic MIDI quality tracks. Still, combat is a blast and the community, at this point in time, is rather welcoming to new players.


I'm still half-and-half here on whether I'll stick with this game in the long run, but at the very least it's something I'll be observing for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment